Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Open Letter #2 to Sweaty Red-faced Gentleman at Hot Yoga

I took a long (unintentional) break from Hot Yoga this past year, but have just recently started back up.  It's something I truly enjoy (which is rare for me when it comes to any form of exercise) and one of the best things about for me is that it follows a set routine and there are general rules that you follow when you're in the studio (silence, no shoes, staggered mat set up so everyone can see themselves in the mirror, etc).  The studio I've been going to for the past week or so is a newer one, and caters to a younger crowd compared to where I have been going for the past year or so.  Nevertheless, I expect the same rules to apply at every studio, since it's such a strict form of yoga.  Last night, I was proved wrong.

Dear Sweaty Red-faced Gentleman at Hot Yoga,

Did you ever wonder why the students at the hot yoga studio are all lined up in front of each other on their mats?  It's so we can see ourselves in the front mirror and work on our form.  It's also extremely helpful when we're doing the floor exercises.  I spent the last half of class last night looking right up your caboose, and not in a good way.  Do you know how frustrating it is to be trying to improve your technique in this hellishly hot room only to have someone planted in front of you so that all you can do is stare at the sweat dripping down their beet-red scalp, neck, back, etc?  Please look around you next time you come to class and take a moment before you plop yourself down for the night.  I, for one, will greatly appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment